Cruising World welcomes author inquiries and unsolicited manuscripts at all times. Please email story submissions (Word Document form preferred) and a selection of sample images as electronic attachments to [email protected]. For large selections high-resolution photography, preferred delivery methods include WeTransfer, Dropbox and Google Drive. (Please review our guidelines for digital photography below.)
Manuscripts submitted for full-length feature consideration should be approximately 1,500 to 2,500 words. Manuscripts for smaller features, articles and columns (including technical and/or general interest stories) should not exceed 1,500 words. Boat-log and/or poetry formats are generally not accepted.
Please understand, we receive a very high volume of submissions. We will do our best to get back to you in a timely manner. We are unable to provide critiques of submitted material that we do not purchase.
Payment varies depending on the type and length of article as well as the availability of high-resolution photography. We typically contract for All World Rights, with payment upon acceptance and placement. Dates of publication are subject to change.
For all submissions, please include the name of your boat/make/model/year, plus an author bio (50-100 words). Due to our All World Rights contract format, please notify us in advance if your manuscript has previously been published in part or in whole. Email [email protected] with any questions.
We are constantly on the lookout for sensational photography. Cruising World is a brand focusing on cruisers, their adventures on the water and the boats that make those adventures possible, and that is what we aim to bring to life across all of our brand’s products. (Please note, photography submissions may sent with or without a manuscript.)
Images should represent the cruising lifestyle of exciting sailing and beautiful anchorages as well as on-board images of people enjoying themselves. Concentrate on good composition and avoid cluttered scenes, shadows and silhouetted sunsets. Portraits should be simple; watch out for rigging, masts and backgrounds that are distracting. Try for different perspectives that create powerful angles with strong color. Tropical and exotic locations work well for us.
When submitting digital images:
- RAW files are preferred formatting, however high-res JPG and TIFF images are also acceptable.
- Images may be submitted using WeTransfer, Dropbox or Google Drive.
- Please submit the largest native file available for all images: 300 DPI is the preferred acceptable resolution.
- All files should be named with a brief, easily identifiable description, i.e., Tongawhales2.jpg.
- Please include captions for each photo in a separate word document.
- Please do not edit image submissions, and submit all available relevant images.
- Do not embed images in attached documents.
- If the photos you submit are not your own, please secure the rights to them in advance of submission and be sure to include photographer and contact information.