New Marina in Old Hands
In January 2008, Camper & Nicholsons Marina Investments, Ltd. agreed to acquire the marina at Peter de Savary's Port Louis Grenada project. Under the terms of the agreement, Camper & Nicholsons will manage the marina and complete the remaining construction phases of the marina itself. De Savary's Grenada company, Port Louis Trading Ltd., will continue as developer for the surrounding projects, which include a hotel, club, private villas, and a duty-free shopping area.
Phase 1 of the Port Louis Marina began with a major clean-up of the remains of the old Grenada Yacht Services and other debris and wrecks which had accumulated in the lagoon over two decades of neglect. Extensive construction followed, to create the face dock, adjacent slips, and buildings to house support services and facilities. The marina opened in time for Christmas 2007 and, according to de Savary's PR office, has already hosted yachts of all sizes, including Tom Perkins's 300-foot Maltese Falcon.
Camper & Nicholsons Marinas arose in the 1970s as an outgrowth of Camper & Nicholsons, which began building yachts in England in 1782, and since then has been engaged in marina development and management in the UK and Europe. With such an internationally recognized name behind it, Port Louis should help restore Grenada to its once crown-jewel status as a Caribbean destination.