West Marine Announces $40,000 Marine Conservation Grants for 2013
In honor of World Oceans Day, West Marine is awarding $40,000 in marine conservation grants to recreational fishing and marine conservation groups in North America.
In honor of World Oceans Day, West Marine announced the recipients of their annual Marine Conservation Grants program. Grants are being awarded to organizations throughout the U.S. and Canada who are working to “improve and protect marine habitat,” which is a key part of West Marine’s mission. Due to the abundance of worthwhile projects, West Marine upped their grants to $40,000 instead of $30,000, which was previously announced.
The Marine Conservation Grants are a component of West Marine’s BlueFuture™ initiative to help create a sustainable future for our planet. The focus of this year’s awards is on projects that enhance marine habitat, engage anglers in data collection and educate anglers about barotrauma. The thirteen recipients are based in Massachusetts, Florida, Washington, Louisiana, California, British Columbia, Canada and Hawaii.
2013 West Marine Conservation Grants:
1. Gloucester, Massachusetts – Massachusetts Department of Marine Fisheries
2. Kingston, Massachusetts – The Jones River Watershed Association
3. Sanford, Florida – The Snook & Gamefish Foundation’s Angler Action Program
4. Miami, Florida – Coastal Angler Science Team (CAST)
5. Jacksonville, Florida – TISRI
6. Bellingham, Washington – CCA (Coastal Conservation Association) North Sound
7. Covington, Louisiana – Recreational Fisheries Research Institute (RFRI)
8. National Marine Sanctuary “Classic” in California, Florida, Texas, Georgia, North Carolina, Washington, Massachusetts, Michigan and Hawaii
9. Central Coast, California – Coastside Fishing Club
10. Petaluma, California – Golden Gate Salmon Association
11. Brentwood Bay, British Columbia – Sea Change
12. Honolulu, Hawaii – Pacific Islands Fisheries Group (PIFG)
13. Concord, California – Water4Fish Inc.
To read about each of the projects and why they were chosen as winners, click here.