I usually try not to plan ahead, because things often don't turn out as expected, as was the case with this particular sail. I was able to leave work in Newport shortly before 4 p.m., which should've given me just enough time to get to Padanaram to make the 5 o'clock bridge. But I got caught in a traffic jam due to a car accident, so that set me back enough to make catching the 5 o'clock bridge impossible. No worries. I decided to look on the bright side: Now I'd have the time to drive home first and pick up Charlie, so we'd only have one car. If Charlie's sister, Julie, and her son, Dan, could make it to the dinghy dock on time, we could ask the bridge tender to open at 5:30. They're very accommodating if you just ask nicely.