While anchored at Mickeys Bay in DEntrecasteaux Channel, wed taken the long, dusty hike out to Cape Bruny, at the southern end of Bruny Island. Apart from making the acquaintance of a short-beaked echidna, a platypuslike mammal that lays eggs, we also found the second oldest lighthouse in Australia, built in 1836. The first lighthouse keeper there, William Baudinet, and his wife, Augusta, had 12 children, of whom no fewer than four became lighthouse keepers in their turn. Now we stood on Deal, another lonely, stormswept outpost, to find that William and Augusta and their children had been here, too. There must be something about the isolation, those long night hours, and the sound of the breakers on the cliffs.