- Wash tomatoes and peppers and slice off tops with a sharp knife. Set tops aside. Hollow out the tomatoes with a melon-baller or teaspoon and set pulp aside. Seed peppers. Add salt and a pinch of sugar to each hollowed-out vegetable.
- Heat 3 tablespoons olive oil in a non-stick sauté pan and sauté the onions till translucent.
- Add rice and stir to coat with oil. Add canned tomatoes and about 1/2 cup of water; stir.
- Salt and pepper to taste and simmer over medium-low heat for about 30 minutes, or until rice is soft enough to chew, stirring very often and adding more water as needed. (Mixture should stay very moist.)
- When rice is ready, remove from heat and stir in parsley, raisins, and pine nuts. Fill the hollow tomatoes/peppers with the rice mixture, replace their lids, and arrange in an oiled baking dish. Give the whole lot a good swirl of olive oil and add about 1/2 cup water, along with the reserved tomato pulp.
- Bake at 375 degrees F until tomatoes and peppers are tender and skins begin to brown and/or blister, about 45 minutes to one hour, adding more water to pan bottom if necessary.