The Salty Dawg Sailing Association (SDSA) has opened registration for its 2020 Spring Rally from the Virgin Islands to the US.
The Spring Rally will depart the Virgin Islands on May 12, weather permitting, from Nanny Cay in the British Virgin Islands, heading to Blue Water Yachting Center in Hampton, Virginia, (or other ports on the U.S. East Coast) or to Bermuda. Pre-departure activities begin on May 1.
The Salty Dawg Spring Rally to the US is an offshore passage in company of other boats, usually a fleet of 25 to 35 boats of many nationalities. It’s a great way to meet and enjoy the company of other sailors.
Cruisers will gather in North Sound at the new Bitter End Yacht Club to begin socializing with fellow Salty Dawgs on May 1. Throughout the week there will be hikes, beach parties, evening happy hours, potluck dinners and more. The boats will then move to Leverick Bay and finally Nanny Cay to prepare for departure.
The Spring Rally will feature the hallmarks of all Salty Dawg rallies:
- Weather routing services, both pre-departure briefings and daily updates during the passage by Chris Parker of Marine Weather Center.
- Online tracking of the fleet on the Salty Dawg Tracking Map.
- Shoreside coordination and communication by experienced Salty Dawg volunteers.
- A twice-daily SSB Net facilitating communication among the boats in the fleet.
- A cruise-in-company support system where veteran participants offer advice and counsel to others.
- The lowest possible entry fee with the greatest possible payback as a result of the support of over 40 sponsors and dozens of experienced cruisers who volunteer their time.
In addition, those leaving from Nanny Cay in the BVIs will benefit from:
- Daily pre-departure weather briefings with group discussions.
- Departure Party and Happy Hour social events.
- Discounts on dockage and marine services.
Once again, we will be holding destination activities in Hampton, Virginia, to celebrate successful completion of the passage. These will be fun for all, so plan to come to Hampton for a special Salty Dawg welcome.
For more information or to sign up for the Salty Dawg Spring Rally to the US, go to www.saltydawgsailing.org/salty-dawg-spring-rally/.
The Salty Dawg Sailing Association will be opening registration soon for the 2020 Rally to Maine, and the 2020 Fall Rally to the Caribbean, the largest rally from the U.S. to the islands.
The SDSA unites experienced ocean sailors with developing cruisers to broaden their blue water horizons. All Salty Dawg rallies and events are led by seasoned sailors who volunteer their time and knowledge to help cruisers realize their dreams—safely.