Being tied up to a mooring meant we didn't get to use the windlass that Greg, Pieter, and I painstakingly rebuilt at anchor in French Harbor last week. This windlass is less than two years old. Unfortunately, it had been professionally, expensively, and poorly installed in the States. The yard had made too large a hole for the anchor chain, and angled it improperly, which allowed water and mud from the chain to slop directly onto the windlass motor, eventually filling the wooden box it sat in, clogging the drain hole, and miring the little motor in a bank of sediment. Finally the elements penetrated the seal, and in seeped salt, sand, and resentment. Among the many lessons learned in this adventure is: we'd never again buy anything but a sealed, above-deck-mounted windlass that I installed myself and that I could inspect easily. Because the motor housing of our windlass is positioned under the deck, it's harder to inspect, protect, and service. While it's working perfectly well now that we rehabbed it, this design wouldn't be my first choice if we had it to do again.