After losing the 14th America's Cup, Lipton gave up his quest to outsail the New York Yacht Club, and Shamrock was sold. In 1937, she ended up in the hands of Italian publisher Mario Crespi, who renamed her Quadrifoglio. At the outbreak of World War II she was moved to a hay barn in the Italian Alps and hidden to keep her from being scrapped for her steel frame and parts. After the war, Crespi did a major refit of the boat, adding bulwarks and a larger wheelhouse, along with new engines and a bird's-eye maple interior. The boat was sold to another Italian in 1969, and eventually came full circle in 1985, when the Lipton family bought her back, donated her to the Museum of Yachting in Newport and renamed her Shamrock V. In a restoration overseen by Patron Saint of Wooden Boats Elizabeth Meyer, Shamrock was returned to her sleek racing lines, and the oversize wheelhouse, along with the bulky bulwarks, were removed.