The National Marine Electronics Association named 20 product awards at its annual conference recently in Anaheim, California. NMEA members voted online for Product of Excellence Awards in 18 categories, and a panel of independent judges, including Salt Water Sportsman and Boating editor Jim Hendricks, determined the NMEA Technology Award and Best New Product.
Airmar’s BoatSmart System took home top technology honors. SmartBoat is a sensor-management system, a multi-network protocol gateway. Multiple analog sensors of nearly any type can directly connect to the SmartBoat module, where the data is converted to NMEA 2000 and delivered to the network and MFDs, eliminating the need for additional modules and/or NMEA 2000 cables and hubs. The embedded, wirelessly accessed (via Bluetooth) browser-based interface allows boaters to configure and control each sensor. The unit then communicates directly with your MFDs or other onboard networks via Wi-Fi. Retail pricing starts at $699.
Maretron won best new product with its WSO200 Ultrasonic Weather Station. Maretron’s product description reads: “Maretron’s outdoor weather station measures wind speed and direction, air temperature, barometric pressure, and relative humidity. The wind measurement is performed using ultrasonic sensors, which means there are no moving parts to wear out or to get caught in the rigging. The WSO200 accurately measures wind speed and direction under tilt of up to 30 degrees, making it ideal for sail as well as power conditions. When used with Maretron’s SSC300 compass and a display such as Maretron’s N2KView vessel-monitoring system, or Maretron’s DSM570 color graphics displays, the user can view both apparent and true wind speed and direction as well as dew point and wind chill factor. The WSO200 mounts on a 1″-14 Standard Marine Mount.” The relatively compact WSO200 is about the same diameter as a teacup saucer and carries a suggested retail price of $595.
2022 Product of Excellence Award Winners were:
- Marine VHF—ICOM M510
- Radar—Furuno DRS4DNXT
- Satellite Communications Antenna—KVH TracPhone V30
- Multifunction Display—Garmin GPSMAP 8616xsv
- Multimedia Entertainment—Fusion Apollo MS-RA770
- NMEA 2000 Sensor—Furuno SCX20 Satellite Compass
- Marine PC Software—Nobeltec TimeZero Professional
- Marine Apps-Utility—Garmin ActiveCaptain
- Marine Specialty—Furuno CSH8LMK2 Omni Sonar
- Satellite TV Antenna—KVH TracVision UHD7
- Fishfinder—Furuno DFF3D Multi-Beam 3D Fishfinder
- Marine Camera—Teledyne/FLIR M364C
- AIS—Vesper Marine Cortex M1
- Autopilot—Garmin Reactor 40
- Remote Monitoring—GOST Apparition
- Safety Device—Garmin GPSMAP 86sci Handheld
- Commercial—Furuno FAR2228NXTBB IMO Radar
- Wi-Fi/Cellular Device—KVH TracPhone LTE-1
Garmin and Actisense were named NMEA Manufacturers of the Year — a distinction voted on by the association’s members and based on demonstrating superior support of their products to those who install and service them in the field.