- Interior airflow is key to keeping mold at bay. We lifted all cushions and rested them on their sides, and opened all drawers, lockers and floorboards to get as much air exposure as possible. We also placed packets of desiccant throughout the interior. Upon our return, they were all saturated, but mold and mildew were minimal.
- I shut off the propane at the tank and turned off everything electric except for the bilge pump.
- To reduce windage and protect our gear, we removed the barbecue, radar reflector, sails, bimini and dodger and stowed them below. We lowered the topping lift and firmly tied the boom to the bimini's frame, with an old life jacket padding the contact point.
- To keep out rain and bugs, we took the cowl vents off the dorade boxes and screwed in the covers, sealed the hawsepipe, and cleaned the gaskets on every hatch and portlight before closing them.
- All running rigging that remained on deck was tightly coiled and securely tied to the mast.