Since I have owned Britannia, I have made some quite-drastic alterations. I changed the rig from a ketch to a brigantine schooner, with a square sail on the foremast. I completely remodeled the aft cabin, both heads and the galley, and fitted a new ceiling throughout. During all this time, I used the forward cabin as a workshop and traipsed through the saloon with all manner of equipment and tools. I didn’t remove my shoes every time either — it was just too much trouble — so the floors suffered and became scratched and dull. The white maple strips were hardly visible in places, and the whole floor was crying out for attention. So as the major modifications came to an end, I began to think how I might restore the floorboards.