5 Quick and Easy Tips for Winter Sail Maintenance:
- Inspect the edges of the sail for signs of cracking and rotting threads.
- Old tell tales that have told their last tale should be replaced.
- Check all grommets and cringles for corrosion as well as checking the sail for holes and other chafe spots.
- With help, stretch out the foot of the sail on a dock or a flat area. Be sure to keep each flake as wide as possible; fewer flakes produces fewer creases in the sail.
- Roll the sail up by starting at the clew. With the sail in the bag, store the bag upright to prevent creasing as the sail settles over the winter.
Ensuring your sails are properly stored during the winter will prevent you from having to replace sails at the start of the next sailing season.